RPm Journey: BLEPP and tips on how to increase the chances of passing the board exam


Hello! Disclaimer: Please take note that this was 2018 pa :( I haven't got the chance to update this. :( I also mentioned here about my Google Drive containing my reviewers during the 2018 BLEPP. If you want to, I can absolutely share this with you (yeah for free, these are from the internet as well eh I just compiled it, except though for the reviewer/s for IO and AbPsych the college-masipag-me made before.), just send me an email with your preferred email for access, and so that I can monitor who has access to my Google Drive. Hehe. Thank you!

Good day everyone!

This post features tips on preparation for the licensure exam, specifically for BLEP (Board Licensure Examination for Psychometricians, as much as I would like to add Psychologists, I am not there yet hehe). 

I would like not to limit this post for those future RPms, but also for those who have doubts, confusions, and such about tests as big as this. Stated here are all my opinions based from the experiences I have.






To start, well of course, first thing first. Know if you really wanted to take the exam. Look for the reasons that could serve as your motivation throughout the process. Look for reasons to keep going. Are you doing it because you want to or are you doing it for other people? To help others? For further opportunities? For growth? These will surely help you to get through and hopefully, will get you focused since you have to achieve it in order for the reason/s you have. Also, know yourself.

Second, now if you are sure, gather your review materials. If at this point you have doubts about going to a review center or not, well think about it thoroughly. You need to assess yourself. Do have good study habits? Are you willing to change your study habits? Do you often procrastinate? Are you working? Can you manage it? If you have financial resources and can spare some to enroll in a review center, go for it!

Here are the books I have used: (I downloaded lang online on this website: www.booksc.org)

Theories of Personality
1. Feist and Feist, Theories of Personality 7th Edition
2. Schultz, Theories of Personality 10th Edition
3 Ryckman, Theories of Personality 9th Edition

Industrial Psychology
1. Aamodt, Industrial Psychology 6th Edition
2. Muchinsky, Industrial Psychology 8th Edition

Abnormal Psychology
1. Barlow and Durand, Abnormal Psychology 7th Edition
2. Kring, Abnormal Psychology 12th Edition
3. Nevid, Abnormal Psychology 9th Edition
4. Comer, Abnormal Psychology 9th Edition
5. DSM-5

Psychological Assessment
1. Cohen, Psychological Testing and Assessment 7th Edition
2. Kaplan, Psychological Testing 8th Edition
3. Gregory, Psychological Testing 7th Edition

If you will ask me if I read all of these, I would not lie. Yes. I did since I started early, I am quite proud that I have read all of them but the thing is, I choose I what I read. Hindi lahat binasa ko ng maayos and instead I just skimmed. For example, the third paragraph is just an example of population. I just skimmed and proceed to the next na agad. Also, I did NOT read DSM-5 thoroughly. I used it as a reference lang din when answering practice exams for confirmation and for clarification. 

If you do not, do not ever be discouraged, instead you should be masipag na masipag and bursting with determination and perseverance! Hehe.

These are the things I recommend if you are doing a self review. J

1.    Study smart. Beside the fact that you should be really determined, focused, persistent, and motivated, you also need a strict study schedule. Will you be studying one subject per month? Per week? Every other day? For how many hours will you study a day?


These are only some. I literally look for quizzes to assess my "review" from time to time so that I wont forget some things and also as a refresher. Also, please just leave a comment, or message me through Instagram or Facebook if you want my Google Drive that contains my review materials. Excluded are those from the review center.

3.    START AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. I think this should be on top of the list lol but really, considering the topics you need to revisit, if you really want to have a solid knowledge and know almost every single thing under that topic, you might as well start today. Hindi lahat ng itinuro sa school ay yun na yun. In a span of limited months, with us dealing with several subjects at the same time, hindi lahat ng nasa libro naituro and no one knows what could appear on the exam. Though the topics must covered ay nakasaad naman. Here is the link. https://www.pap.org.ph/sites/default/files/pap_tos.pdf 


These are the things naman I have realized when I studied in a review center.

1.  The things I have mentioned above also apply for those who are enrolled in a review center. Hindi natatapos ang review sa review center, dapat sa bahay din for better retention. It works for me!

2.    Do not be complacent. Do not take it for granted. As much as possible, i-grasp lahat ng pwedeng i-grasp. Take notes then study it ulit sa bahay.

3.    They won’t force you to attend the classes so, you must also be motivated.

4.  Review centers are there to help you study, and pass the exam, do not take that opportunity for granted. Attend kayo, do not be absent or at least avoid it kahit gaano pa nakakaantok or kaboring kasi alam nyo na nga yung topic. 

    Also, if you are expecting na the exact same test items will appear sa mismong board exam, then right now I am telling you, you might be disappointed. This is not a negative thing towards the review center but instead for those who have that thought na "Hindi naman lumabas sa board exam yung mga nadiscuss or naexam sa review center." Wag kayong maniwala sa mga yan. Hahaha. If that's just your reason, then please change it lol. Since in the first place, I can say that hindi yan ang purpose ng review center. They do not ever intend to leak such. Though they might imitate how those questions were written or the level of difficulty. If ever may lumabas na similar, then you are lucky. Thank them. If not, thank them still at least if ever lumabas, you know the answer na. Do not blame them for the lack of information, because studying for the board exam is your responsibility. 

Third, learn to rest. Nakakapagod din magbasa ng magbasa. Reward mo rin yourself. You can take a rest day, you can take breaks in between your readings, you can nap in between basta something that can give you a peace of mind for a while. Haha. Seryoso. Nakakadrain din minsan. I want to say do not be pressured pero part of me says yes kasi it can help you push through, pero in the end, kayo naman ang bahala dyan on how you will manage that pressure, on how you will view that pressure. Will you view it as a positive thing? A motivation? Or something that YOU will allow to let you down? Laban! If negative thoughts enter your mind, please look for a better angle. Please look on the bright side.

Aside from literally taking a break, you can reward yourself habang nagrereview. For example, if you finish this topic within this day or hour or something, reward mo yung self mo ng isang episode charot. Hahaha. Find what suites you. Again, dapat kilala mo ang sarili mo. These are just suggestions J

Last but not the least, believe in yourself. Kahit nakareview center ka o hindi. Believe in yourself. Pray and hope for the best. Do everything you can if you really want this. If you find yourself having doubts, think again of the reason, the one thing that can keep you motivated.

PS. On the day before the board examination, make sure that you will get enough sleep so that you will have enough energy cause I swear, when you are already taking the examination and you feel sleepy or drowsy, it can and it will somehow affect your performance. Guys, nakakaantok. Hahaha. I almost fell asleep during the first day kasi halos 1am na yata kami natulog noon, and it was the thing I regret the most. So ayun, para sana mas attentive and mas magwork ng ayos yung brain n'yo sa mismong exam. :)


GOOOD LUCK FUTURE RPms!!!

If you have any questions, clarifications or if I said something incorrect, feel free to leave a comment. :)


Comments

  1. THank you for this. Sayang ngayon ko lang to nakita.... I only started getting serious on the start of September. :( Sana nagreview center ako haha wala pala akong time management. Grabe binasa mo lahat yan? Hirap ako tapusin kahit isang reference. huhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pahabol lang pala haha. Yung sa quiz sa abpsych 5th edition sya hindi pa sya DSM 5, okay lang kaya aralin?

      Delete
    2. Hello! Welcome! �� Good luck!! Claim it na agad!! �� Kayang kaya mo yan RPm!!! ��

      Hm I know someone na nag aral 2 months prior the board and he passed naman. I know people na hindi nagreview center pero nakapasa. I also know someone na nag aral 5 months prior the exam and passed din naman. :)

      Siguro the duration doesnt matter as long as youre focused and determined. Being in a review center wont matter if you’re just relying on the review center and not continuing to study at home. Being in a review center doesnt guarantee a license. I do not know you personally pero kayang kaya mo yun! :) I know you are doing your best to pass the exam. Your efforts will pay off. Trust, dasal and aral lang talaga.

      I am fond of reading novel books kaya I dont mind reading stuff. Hehe pero dito sa Psych books, hindi ko sya binasa word per word. I skipped some lines and even paragraphs lalo na kapag example lang naman yung laman. And also, di ko na binasa yung mga ibat ibang tests na nakalagay sa book ni Kaplan �� ilang chapters din yun. Sa outline na lang ako nagrely. Ayun medyo magulo naging ready style ko �� Daming downloadable na outline ng mga yan sa internet. :)

      Yung sa quiz sa AbPsych 5th Ed, yes. Okay lang na aralin. Yung transition ng DSM IV to DSM 5 kasi yung pinakapossible na itanong regarding dito. :) Ang laging sinasabi sa amin noon ay aralin both editions lalo na ang changes (nasa outline yun sa isang book sa AbPsych I cant remember lang kung saan ��). Pero hindi ko sya natyaga eh hahaha kaya di ko rin talaga sya naaral. Yung AbPsych books lang talaga. :) Nasa AbPsych din na books naman na yung mga symptoms, duration, and such. I think that’s enough na. Mas detailed lang talaga yung nasa DSM. One of our lecturers even said din naman na studying AbPsych book/s will do na, kahit di na yung mismong DSM and I have to agree. :)

      Delete
  2. Pano po ba maging topnotcher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I have no idea kasi di ako nagtop. Hehe.

      Pero I am sure of two things; 1.) They studied really hard which all of us did hehe and 2.) luck. I would like to share what our topnotcher lecturer said, sabi nya hindi naman daw nya ineexpect na magtatop sya. Mababa raw palagi ang scores nya sa drills and such. Hindi raw sya nagtatop, kahit sa school noong college. Pero he was indeed so sure that he want to have that license kahit ganun ang scores nya. Yung outlier daw nila ang ineexpect but she/he did not top the board though passed.

      Bottomline ng kwento nya is, kung para sa’yo, para sa’yo. If it’s meant to happen, it will happen under any circumstances. :) Basta aral na lang, pray and hope for the best. 💖

      Delete
  3. Hello po. free to access po yun sa Google drive? 4th year student na po ako, balak ko na po sana mag simula na magbasa ng mga pdfs and books po for the exam.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes freeee! Gdrive ko lang yun haha and mostly those are what I found in the internet lang din hehe. I also included dun yung ginawa kong outline sa IO at AbPsy before.

      Delete
    2. yey!thank you so much po. how po?

      Delete
    3. Hello sorry v late reply :(( msg me on IG! Hehe I dont want to put the link out here lang just so I can keep track on who have access to my gdrive

      Delete
  4. Hello, thank you for encouragement msg. I'd like to have your gdrive link. Is it okay? Thank you in advance. Your IG link btw is not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am probably late :( Sorry huhu. I hope you are doing okay in your review or did good sa board tho! :(

      Delete
  5. Ma'am ako din po hehe pa access email ko po unknown100123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Added! Check your email na lang. Hehe good luck!!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I followed you on IG so I can ask for your gdrive but I wasn't sure if you're active there or not. But just in case you see this first, my email is aatf0625@gmail.com. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello! Sorry, now ko lang nakita :(( I added you na, check your email's inbox na lang. Hehe. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Just saw it. Thank you so much! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment